Missed our last webinar?
Last week, we hosted Estate Planning Decisions – Ways to pay lower taxes, lower your cost of giving today and leave a larger legacy tomorrow.
If you missed out, the full recording and presentation slides is now available online! Please register using the button below to view the recorded webinar.
Estate Planning in a COVID World
Thursday, November 19th, 2020 | 12:00-1:00 p.m.
Live Video via Zoom*
From the comfort of your own home, please join us for this free seminar on Estate Planning.
Learn from Ted Rechtshaffen, President & CEO of TriDelta Financial, about wills, why you need one, and how to effectively reduce income taxes now and minimize estate costs later.
*Please note, you will need access to a web browser via a computer, tablet or smart phone. Your registration confirmation will include the Zoom link to attend and additional information*
Register today using the form to the right.
Leave a legacy at NYGH
Will bequests, gifts of securities and insurance gifts are thoughtful ways for you to play a larger role in helping NYGH provide excellent care in your own backyard.
You have the power to make a lasting impact on our shared community by making a planned gift to NYGH. It’s surprisingly simple and lets you leave a legacy that will serve your community for generations to come.
The generous act you make today will shape the future of NYGH, helping us go beyond care for generations to come. Each legacy gift offers its own tax and financial benefits. We encourage you to speak to your financial advisor, lawyer, or contact us to learn more.
Some of the most common ways to leave a legacy include:
Bequests in your Will
The most common planned gift, a charitable bequest, is a donation made through your will. You can choose to leave North York General a specific piece of property, a pre-determined sum of money or a percentage of your estate. Planned today, a bequest benefits North York General after your death. By carefully planning your bequest, you can eliminate significant taxes payable upon your death. Your estate may claim gifts in the year of death equal to 100 percent of your net income in that year and the year preceding death.
Through a bequest, you can leave a lasting legacy that will care for your family today and ensure the future availability of high quality patient- and family-centred care at North York General.
The advantage of making a bequest
A gift made through your will is a simple and impactful way of giving. Bequests allow you to leave a larger gift to North York General than would be possible during your lifetime.
The benefits of making a bequest include:
- Satisfaction of providing a future gift while retaining control of your assets during your lifetime
- A charitable tax receipt to your estate
- Reduction or elimination of estate taxes through careful planning
- An opportunity to honour or commemorate yourself or a loved one by establishing a named endowment fund
Step by step
Making a bequest is simple:
- Determine with your professional advisor which type of planned gift will make the most philanthropic and financial impact.
- Speak to your lawyer about drafting your will, an essential step to protect your family’s future and to ensure that your assets are distributed according to your intentions, or adding a codicil to your existing will to include a bequest to North York General.
- Include the appropriate bequest wording in your will. Sample wording for a bequest to North York General could be:“My estate trustees shall pay the sum of $ (or transfer assets with an equal value) to North York General Hospital Foundation, Toronto, ON, with charitable registration #88875 1245 RR0001 for its own use absolutely.”Or for a residual bequest:“My estate trustees shall pay % of the residue of my estate to North York General Hospital
Foundation, Toronto, ON, with charitable registration #88875 1245 RR0001, for its own use
- Don’t forget to contact us at the Foundation to let us know about your bequest so that we
can thank you.
If you are interested in leaving a will bequest to NYGH, please refer to this sample wording when you meet with your lawyer.
North York General Hospital Foundation Sample Will Wording
“My estate trustees shall pay ______% of the residue of my estate to North York General Hospital Foundation, Toronto, ON, with charitable registration #88875 1245 RR0001, for its own use absolutely.”
“My estate trustees shall pay the sum of $ ______ (or transfer assets with an equal value) to North York General Hospital Foundation, Toronto, ON, with charitable registration #88875 1245 RR0001, for its own use absolutely.”
The name you should include in your will to make a bequest to North York General is “North York General Hospital Foundation”. The Foundation is responsible for raising money and performing estate administration on behalf of the Hospital.
Charitable Business Number: 88875 1245 RR0001
Gifts of Securities
3 Easy Steps to Donate Securities
- Talk to your financial advisor.
- Contact the Foundation to let us know you’d like to make a gift of securities.
- Ask your broker to transfer your securities directly to the Foundation account via this Transfer Form.
Gifts of Appreciated Securities
Gifts of stock or publicly traded securities not only benefit the patients and families we serve, but are also a tax-efficient method of charitable giving. When you donate a gift of stocks, bonds or other publicly traded securities directly to North York General Foundation, you receive a tax receipt for the full market value, and you avoid paying tax on any capital gains.
This means that your donation costs you less than if you were to sell your stocks in order to give cash, and offers potentially significant tax benefits to you as a donor.
Advantages of Donating Securities
A gift of appreciated securities is a worthwhile alternative to a cash gift. Flexible choices allow you to decide how you can give, and the elimination of capital gains tax on gifts of appreciated securities provides you with a substantial tax incentive.
The benefits of giving securities include:
- Satisfaction of seeing your gift put to good use today
- A charitable tax receipt for fair-market value of the donated securities, based on the closing value on the day the funds arrive int he Foundation account
- No capital gains tax
Your choices when giving securities include:
- Giving immediately or as part of your estate planning
- Donating part of your stock and using the remainder for your personal use
Gifts of Life Insurance
Gifts of life insurance
A gift of life insurance is a creative way for you to build our long-term financial strength without diminishing your own – even a relatively small commitment can provide significant benefits for North York General. There are many ways for you to make a gift using life insurance:
- You may donate a paid-up life insurance policy that has outlived its original purpose by naming North York General Foundation the owner and beneficiary of your policy and receive an immediate tax receipt for the fair market value of the policy.
- For a policy on which premiums are still being paid, you can transfer ownership to North York General Foundation and receive tax receipts for all future premium payments.
- You may make a gift by purchasing a new life insurance policy, naming North York General Foundation as the owner and beneficiary and receiving tax receipts for all future premium payments. You may also choose to retain ownership of your policy and name North York General Foundation as the direct beneficiary and, upon your passing, your estate will receive a tax receipt for the value of the policy.
Advantages of donating life insurance
A gift of life insurance is a worthwhile alternative to a cash gift. Flexible choices allow you to decide how you can give, and provide you with a substantial tax incentive for donating life insurance.
The benefits of donating life insurance include:
- Allows you to make a substantial gift later by making small premium payments now
- A charitable tax receipt
- Tax savings in your lifetime or for your estate
Step by step
Making a gift of life insurance is simple:
- Discuss with your financial advisor or insurance provider which method of donating life insurance will make the most philanthropic and financial impact
- Contact our Planned Giving Officer and your insurance provider if you wish to transfer ownership of a policy, create a new policy or change the policy beneficiary to North York General Foundation
Gifts of RRSP/RRIF Funds
Gifts of RRSPs and RRIFs
Support North York General by changing the beneficiary information on your RRSP or RRIF. Your retirement funds are among the most heavily taxed assets you own. However, when North York General Foundation is designated as a direct beneficiary of a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) or registered retirement income fund (RRIF), these taxes are offset at the time of death. Your gift will be treated as a charitable donation in the year of death and North York General Foundation will issue a tax receipt for the full amount being transferred.
The gift is simple to make – you name North York General Foundation as a direct beneficiary on the plan document and advise the institution holding your retirement account of the change.
The advantage of donating RRSPs and RRIFs
A gift of RRSPs or RRIFs is a worthwhile alternative to a cash gift. You can donate all or a portion of your remaining retirement funds to North York General Foundation to support the future availability of high quality health care.
The benefits of donating RRSPs and RRIFs:
- Satisfaction of providing a future gift while retaining ownership and use of the fund during your lifetime
- A charitable tax receipt
- Offsetting estate taxes and reducing probate fees
- Ability to donate and at the same time provide for your family by naming more than one beneficiary
Step by step
Making a gift of RRSPs or RRIFs is simple:
- Request a change of multiple beneficiary form from your plan provider
- Change the beneficiary information on the plan document by naming North York General Foundation as the beneficiary of all or a portion of the RRSP or RRIF, and return the document to your plan provider
- Contact us to let us know about your gift so we can thank you
Once your arrangements have been made, please complete our planned gift confirmation form to notify us of your future gift. And when you pledge to secure NYGH’s future, you will become a member of the Heritage Circle – a recognition society filled with generous donors who have made a gift to the Foundation, such as a bequest, a life insurance policy, a charitable trust, or have created an endowment fund.
Click here for a confidential discussion about including North York General Hospital in your Will and other donation options.
Carrie Gemmell, Manager, Planned Giving
Direct: 416-756-6887 | Cell: 647-545-1097
This information does not constitute or substitute legal, accounting or other professional advice. Please consult with your professional advisor to make decisions that suit your unique circumstances and charitable goals.
For Lawyers and Financial Advisors
If you are a lawyer or financial advisor, the Foundation would be happy to partner in your client’s philanthropic giving. Click here for recognition details and sample wording.
Manager, Planned Giving