This week we witnessed provincially mandated changes to testing protocols at all Ontario COVID-19 assessment centres due to the emergence of a second wave of cases. North York General has administered over 96,000 tests, up from 61,000 at the time of my last update, and now we are managing an even higher demand for testing and increased wait times for results. In accordance with the Ministry of Health, you should only seek testing at COVID-19 assessment centres if you are:
- Showing COVID-19 symptoms;
- Have been exposed to a confirmed case of the virus, as informed by your public health unit or exposure notification through the COVID-19 Alert app;
- A resident or work in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak, as identified and informed by your local public health unit;
- A resident, visiting a resident or work in an at-risk setting, such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting;
- Scheduled for surgery; or
- Included in setting-specific populations, (eg. asymptomatic cancer patients).
As a reminder, our sites are:
Branson Site COVID-19 Assessment Centre
555 Finch Ave. (North Entrance immediately after Finch)
8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Main Site COVID-19 Assessment Centre
4001 Leslie St. (by Emergency entrance)
8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
You can also check the Ministry of Health website for select pharmacies offering COVID-19 tests to those without symptoms, and the hospital’s website nygh.on.ca/covid-19-updates is also updated regularly as the situation evolves.
To support the continuing interest of managing in the age of COVID-19, we staged our third “House Calls: a virtual conversation with our community” on September 16th. This virtual experience centred around the mental health issues people are grappling with during this pandemic and provided practical ways to support yourself and your loved ones. Click on the image below to watch the video.